I participated as a speaker at the 2014 ITU GSR organized in Manama Bahrain 3-5 June 2014.
Session : Big data: an opportunity or a threat?
• Maximizing the potential of data and why it matters for consumers, industry players and governments
• Understanding the issues at stake
• The link with open data (crowd sourcing, cloud computing, etc.)
• Is there a need to regulate data management and service providers?
• How to prevent market dominance in this area and protect the rights of the data owners?
• Addressing privacy, copyright and intellectual property rights, transparency and digital security issues
Moderator: Mr Keng Thai Leong, Deputy Chief Executive and DirectorGeneral (Telecoms and Post), InfoComm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA)
Presentation of the GSR discussion paper on Big data (co-authored by Mr Viktor Mayer-Schönberger), Mr Andy Haire, Chairman, AJH Communications, llc
- Dr Vijayalakshmy K. Gupta, Member, Telecom Regulatory Authority of
India (TRAI), India
- Mr Mohamed Al Ghanim, Director General, Telecommunications
Regulatory Authority (TRA), United Arab Emirates
- Dr Mustafa Aykut, Coordinator, International Affairs and Policy
Coordinator, Türk Telekom
- Mr Khaled Koubaa, Head of Policy, Google
- Mr Peter Pitsch, Executive Director, Intel
On the side of the event, I had the chance o meet with the Secretary-General of the ITU Mr Hamadoun Touré.